Bathing in warm sulfur spring water has been touted for its potential health benefits, but some susceptible individuals – especially allergic people who may tend to have dry skin or eczema – may turn up with a severe skin rash from exposure to this water.
Typically, the rash appears suddenly about 24 hours after the water exposure. The rash is red with a look of “punched out” ulcers and pits. It is caused by the acidic nature of the hydrogen sulfide, sulfate and sulfur that are in the water.
Many of the aquifers here in Florida are rich in these natural sulfur compounds.
Care also needs to be taken if area health authorities post warnings of bacteria risks if warm, shallow lake water gets inhaled.
Just be cautious and enjoy those summer splashes!